Lev Vygotsky: Social Interaction


Lev Vygotsky. A theorist who believed cognitive skills developed best through social interaction. Specifically, when a child is paired with a peer who has a better understanding of the subject at hand. However, Vygotsky noted the subject matter in which the child is dealing with has to be within their zone of proximal development. I found this to be very interesting. The child who is paired with his/her more gifted peer isn't working on a problem geared toward their partner. They're working on a problem that is easier to solve, whilst working with an peer who has a concrete understanding of the subject. Another interesting part of Vygotsky's theory is related to the role of the more gifted child. He or she should be providing scaffolding for the peer in which they are assisting. I found this to be a very mature way of assisting a student. Because the book didn't apply an age example within the reading, I was under the impression older children were helping younger children. However, the possibility for like-age children to help each other is just as realistic as older children helping those younger than themselves. Scaffolding is when someone is assisting another in a task but isn't doing everything for them. Over time, the individual providing assistance slowly provides less and less support, forcing the person completing the task to figure it out for themselves. I found this theory to be extremely helpful for students in any stage of life. I firmly believe when peers assist each other inside the classroom, it would support the growth of an outside relationship to form. Also, a teacher can be intimidating at times. When a peer is working with a partner in class, it allows them to ask questions they might be embarrassed to vocalize to the greater community. Peers can be more authentic with each other inside the classroom, thus creating a prosperous learning environment. Vygotsky is a theorist I see myself modeling in the future. His concepts on social interaction align with my personal teaching philosophy, as well as the environment I want my classroom to operate under. 

Comments

  1. That's awesome that Vygotsky's theory is something you see your future self using and modeling. I wonder if you have ever witnessed students around you (at a school visit or family members) partaking in? Or do you remember a time you personally modeled this behavior in high/middle/ elementary school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions, Vanessa! Bennet?

      Delete
    2. That's a great question Vanessa! I wouldn't say that I utilized Vygotsky's theory of social interaction as much as I would've liked in middle/high school. I was only every working with my peers when a teacher or professional required it of me. However, being the director of a youth program at a summer camp is where I find myself using Vygotsky's theory of social interaction the most. Because all of the kids I work with are under the age of eighteen, I try and get them to collaborate as much as possible. It's especially helpful to have kids who have been at camp for a long amount of time assist the kids who are coming to camp for their first time. In this scenario, I try and use what Vygotsky has taught me as much as possible!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree that having peers help one another is extremely beneficial! Collaboration is super helpful in the classroom and it allows students to build relationships in and out of the classroom setting. I know that for me personally, collaborating in the classroom allowed me to feel more confident and helped me understand the subject matter more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that scaffolding students is a very important part of the learning community. I was wondering what your thoughts were about schools who tier students based on their academic achievement levels? How is this helping or hurting students?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts