Starting the Conversation: Diversity as a Weapon

       

Bruce is no more. After much discussion with myself, I came to the conclusion I had to give up on Bruce. I didn't feel comfortable with dropping him, however I knew it would be more beneficial to request a new conversation partner. My apprehension came from the rejection Bruce might have felt. I know how hard it can be coming into a new school, not knowing anyone, and the only connection you might have fails you. It's a sensation that is truly gutting. With that being said, in order for me to prosper, and for Bruce to have the devotion of another partner, I had to ask for a new acquaintance. Best. Decision. Ever. My new partner is from Japan, and to keep her privacy safe, I will name her Grace. Grace is amazing! The second I sent her an email, she responded almost immediately. Upon our meeting today, I was polluted with nerves. I was worried I wasn't going to say the right thing admits our conversation. Luckily, I diverted some awkward topics. Grace is very proficient in her english speaking abilities which makes it easier for her and I to relate on an array of topics. I started the conversation with getting her age, where she's from, and if she had any siblings. I found this to be a compelling way to start the conversation. If I could connect with her one one of these three questions, I knew I could formulate a few more spin-off questions. Just like that, the conversation was off. We talked about traveling, the pros and cons of Japanese education (no homework) in comparison with United States education (so much homework). Her perspective on American culture is so refreshing. Grace enters American history in a very malleable time. At the hight of social conversation, is the atrocity that occurred in Florida a few days ago. It's a distracting time for me as an American adult. I'm enraged with the way our country is handling yet another mass shooting. Her opinion on American culture reminds me about the joys of being an American.
         I want to relate this to the diversity of SMC and why it is so important for every college campus to integrate their international population into the general public. As a group, international students have an astounding amount to offer. They're intelligent, new, outspoken, and ready to share their life experience with those who'll listen. Diversity is a weapon. It has the power to completely alter the reality of someones life. If American society utilized the dramatic effects of diversity in the same fashion as firearms, the social, and ethnic topography of life would never be the same. This example may be confusing however, I think it offers a harsh reality that not a lot of people understand. Firearms are dramatically altering the social landscape of American life. If diversity was the new weapon of choice, I couldn't even imagine what the world would look like. What if we used diversity as a weapon in schools? Instead of guns. Thank you Grace for reintroducing me to the importance of diversity. May the conversation continue to inspire others.

Comments

  1. Bennet, this is an interesting post and I am so glad that you took the initiative to pursue another conversation partner. I am certain that you will each influence the other. I found the "refreshing" experience of being an American that resulted (especially this week) to be a good reminder of the power of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very compelling post. You tied in social issues very well and the issue you chose is not one easy to broach without being targeted. I wholly agree that diversity as a weapon would change the face of everything. This is also a very reflective peice and it says a lot about you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts