A day in the Life


As I sat in the silence of my own thoughts, I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt. I felt guilty for the way I have been living. I try my best to be an advocate for the people who I deem marginalized by society, forgetting the people who need my help the most. I had the privilege of attending a professional development workshop, surrounding the importance of creating an inclusive classroom for LGBTQ+ youth. I have done work with organizations before on the basis of equality for all. This time, felt different. I am in a new place within my life, and I really feel like my career path (whatever form it may take) will have an impact on the world around me. The presentation was phenomenal, I left feeling informed, inspired, and ready to change the world. Life for a transgender youth, is far from easy. They live in a constant state of fear, and the media coverage on the fate of trans people isn't helping. If I may, I would like for you to imagine being a teenager, back in your high school. I want you to think about the course load you had, the classes you had, the friends who you thought would be with you for life, the obligations you had in and out of the classroom, the sports team you were a part of, the drama production you were managing, etc. It's daunting, no? Now, take all of those stressors, and add one more. Add the fear of being outed for a path you can't change. Imagine having to decide if you should use the boys bathroom, or the girls bathroom, or maybe the bathroom at home because you can't handle the stress of people seeing you come out of the "wrong bathroom". But, school just started, you still have an additional six hours. What are you supposed to do? This is the daily life of a transgender youth. Now, after they've survived the school day, they have to return to a home where they aren't accepted. Which is very common for them. Are you exhausted? Because I am. High school was the best time of my life, I loved every minute of it. I know that's weird. Would I want to return if I was a teen who identified as transgender? Absolutely not. More often than not, school is a place where transgender teens don't feel welcome. Teachers don't understand them, their classmates are more confused then they are. Is that an environment that is meant to nourish the minds of adolescents? I've never realized how important the rule of a teacher is until this very moment. We have the power to change everything. It all starts with our classrooms. We set the tone for the way things work. We determine how our students talk to each other, we determine the topics we cover in class, etc. Isn't that amazing? The excitement overwhelms me! If I may, I would ask you to imagine the best teacher you have ever had? Think about everything they have done for you. Now, think about being that person for a transgender youth. You would change their life forever. You would be showing them you care. Something so small, can have such meaningful impact. Treating trans youth with the respect they deserve, is a simple request to ask. The kindness of a day, can carry the span of a lifetime. 



Comments

Popular Posts